Mark Steben wrote:

HI,

Quick question:  our master node runs postgres 8.2.5 in Massachusetts

Our proposed slave node runs postgres 8.3.3 in Virginia

Do we need to upgrade our master to 8.3 in order to successfully run slony?

I have been testing on similar nodes with slony 1.2.14.

One of the official "use cases" of Slony-I is to do upgrades, so there shouldn't be any notable problems with doing this.

It is possible to get "bitten" by differences between 8.2 and 8.3; that's inherent to having a mixed environment, and not to Slony-I itself.

Between 7.4 and 8.0 (if memory serves) there were changes in the handling of Unicode validation; there would be a risk, between *those* versions, of the 7.4 instance accepting some invalid Unicode that the 8.0 (or newer) instance would (correctly) not accept. That's not a problem you'd experience with your versions, but that's the sort of thing I'd be at least a little wary of.

I know that the DBAs I work with would be aghast at the thought of running apps against variant versions of PostgreSQL for any long term period of time, but again, that's not a Slony-I issue as much as a general issue surrounding the proliferation of varying versions of things in the environment. More versions of *anything* means more "spinning plates" in the air. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_spinning

--
(format nil "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" "cbbrowne" "ca.afilias.info")
<http://dba2.int.libertyrms.com/>
Christopher Browne
(416) 673-4124 (land)

_______________________________________________
Slony1-general mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.slony.info/mailman/listinfo/slony1-general

Reply via email to