On Fri, 26 Dec 2014, Dave Cramer wrote:

Dave Cramer

      Did you change this for the slony user, or the user that does the
original insert/update on the table, or both?

Just the slony user.

The conversion from  bytea to text happens as part of the log trigger.
The log trigger talks all of the columns (bytea, text, integer,float etc..) and converts them to a text array that gets stored in sl_log

So I think you'd need to set that for the application user.

            Dave Cramer

            On 24 December 2014 at 10:20, Christopher Browne