On 05/21/2016 05:56 PM, Tory M Blue wrote:
> This maybe an odd request and let me preface this by saying, we have
> used Slony for over 10 years, it works great, we have had no real
> major issues.
>
> However my data sets, index creation times are starting to mean that a
> drop/add of my master or a full replicated slave, takes about 15 hours
> to come back on line (only takes about 2 hours to copy the data, but
> some indexes take 7 hours on their own).. So any maintenance that
> requires a drop/add (upgrades), requires a herculean effort, even with
> dropping indexes and adding them at the end manually and concurrently
> (as much as possible)
>
> So I was thinking with a master-master setup that Postgres provides,
> could I run Postgres replication between the master  servers
> (master/slave), and run Slony to create our read only db's (these take
> a bit less than 30 minutes to create)?

I am not sure what you mean by 'master-master'.  Postgresql core doesn't
currently contain any 'master-master' solutions, there are numerous
extensions or third party projects that claim some form of
'master-master' solution each with a definition of 'master-master' and
different limitations. It is really hard to say if slony is compatible
with one without understanding which one you are talking about.

Postgresql core does have built in master / standby replication
(streaming replication).

You can do a streaming replica for failover purposes and a slony replica
for your reporting server.

If your streaming replica is an asynchronous replica then there is a
risk that following a failover it is possible that the slony replica saw
transactions that never made it to the streaming replica. The solution
to this is to rebuild your slony replica following a failover (as a
matter of procedure/practice) OR use a synchronous replica