: FTP is a completely different protocol to HTTP.  It uses a TCP control
: channel on port 21, and an incoming UDP data channel for data.

TCP port 20 on server.

: In passive mode, this is slightly different.
: 
: However, people who have used passive and UDP FTP know that UDP is faster
: and that's why ip_masq_ftp was created.

What RFC describes FTP/UDP?

: It comes with the kernel.
: 
: I suggest you use it :)

Tell me more.  I'm currently using picoBSD as a firewall, and need a
non-passive ftp proxy.  Will your suggested Linux solution boot off a
single floppy and work without requiring ongoing access to a
non-memory filesystem?  How hard is it to build such a thing?

(Machine is 386DX with 8M memory and an old 90mm/3.5" floppy.  Hard
disk is real small, and totally consumed by non-free OS :-(.  I'm
currently investigating use of ipfilter & ipnat to replace ipfw
because of the builtin ftp proxy.)

-- 
Christopher Vance
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to