Lets just say that your main server network is 192.168.0.0/16.
The sub domain you want to have delegated is 192.168.100.0/24
You therefore have a file 192.168.rev on your main domain dns server.
with
$ORIGIN 192.in-addr.arpa.
168    IN    SOA dns.maindomain.com.au.  hostmaster.maindomain.com.au (
          1 7200 1200 86400 7200 )
        IN    dns.maindomain.com.au.
        IN    otherdns.maindomain.com.au.

and this

$ORIGIN 168.192.in-addr.arpa.
1.1    IN    PTR    dns.maindomain.com.au
etc

or this

$ORIGIN 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
1    IN    PTR    dns.maindomain.com.au.
etc

then to answer your question.
the glue record to delegate some of it away.

$ORIGIN 168.192.in-addr.arpa.
100    IN    SOA    dns.subdomain.maindomain.com.au.
hostmaster.maindomain.com.au (
          1 7200 1200 86400 7200 )
        IN    dns.subdomain.maindomain.com.au.
        IN    anyotherdns.somedomain.com.au.

If you can't delegate a whole c class in the reverse to your subdomain,
things get a bit messy.

eg: say I want to delegate 192.168.100.32/28

Then in the main dns I have this.
$ORIGIN 192.in-addr.arpa.
168    IN    SOA dns.maindomain.com.au.  hostmaster.maindomain.com.au (
          1 7200 1200 86400 7200 )
        IN    dns.maindomain.com.au.
        IN    otherdns.maindomain.com.au.
$ORIGIN 100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
32    IN    CNAME 32.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
33    IN    CNAME 33.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
34    IN    CNAME 34.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
35    IN    CNAME 35.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
36    IN    CNAME 36.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
37    IN    CNAME 37.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
38    IN    CNAME 38.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
39    IN    CNAME 39.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
40    IN    CNAME 40.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
41    IN    CNAME 41.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
42    IN    CNAME 42.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
43    IN    CNAME 43.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
44    IN    CNAME 44.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
45    IN    CNAME 45.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
46    IN    CNAME 46.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
47    IN    CNAME 47.32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
32/28    IN    SOA   dns.subdomain.maindomain.com.au.
hostmaster.maindomain.com.au

          1 7200 1200 86400 7200 )
        IN    dns.subdomain.maindomain.com.au.
        IN    anyotherdns.somedomain.com.au.

On the subdomain server
$ORIGIN 32/28.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
32    IN    PTR    host1.subdomain.maindomain.com.au.
33    IN    PTR    host2.subdomain.maindomain.com.au.


I hope I have made all this clear enough.

regards,
Dave

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sprovski Bozidar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 1999 4:14 PM
Subject: [SLUG] off topic


I know that this is off topic, but I would appreciate an answer very
much:

I have created a subdomain with it's own DNS server in my domain. What
should I add in my domain DNS server to delegate the reverse zone of my
subdomain
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text


--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to