On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 02:05:57PM +1100, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> I have just got a situation where I have a client socket open and netstat
> shows it as "Established" but the client has died. How can I kill off the
> socket?
you could fake up a RST connection using something like "hunt" or
"sniffit" (with the "touch of death" plugin ;)
if the client is reachable again, the first bit of sent data should
trigger a RST and close the connection anyway
if the client is never going to be reachable again, its up to the
application to close it (at least until the TCP timeout (5 days)) - or
the OS to close it when that application is killed.
in most cases where resources matter (eg shell logins), the server
either uses the TCP keepalive options, or implements its own keepalive
"ping"
--
- Gus
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text