Hi!

Why is something attempting to load the block-major-22 module on my
system?

Logged to syslog:
modprobe: can't locate module block-major-22

There are hundreds of these entries in the logs, ands lots of "last message
repeated 70 times". The problem is with gpm - it happens every time I
move the mouse in a console but goes away if I stop gpm. 

I have had similar error messages cause by other programs so I'm
interested as to some hints on where to look for more info like who is
trying to load the module etc.

<pauses>

<goes and does some more investigative work>

Aha! The devices with major number 22 are hdc and hdd, my second IDE
controller.. hdc just happens to be where my CD-ROM drive normally
resides, except that it's not here at the moment..

hrmm.

So how about taking the CD player applet off the panel. That could be
something to do with it.. 

Yeah baby that fixed it. Can now gpm again without my hard disk going
crazy with syslogging..

Thanks for listening while I solve my own problems! If I hadn't asked I
would never have fixed that..

Anyway, I must ask a question. So:

1. Why would modprobe only attempt to load device block-major-22 when I
move the mouse? And what is module block-major-22? Something to do with
the IDE controller, but what exactly, and why is it loading
automatically?? 

Bye bye,

Chuck




--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to