Rachel Polanskis writes:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Dave Fitch wrote:
>
> > What I was a bit shocked at, is reading the specs for these SGI
> > machines, they're intel CPUs!! Now I haven't really been keeping
> > up with what SGI are doing these days, but I hadn't realised
> > they'd stooped so low as to use intel processors.
>
> SGI got assimilated by the borg last year or thereabouts
> and started selling entry-level boxes with NT on to compete with
> Sun's Ultra5. The results were less than spectacular and
> SGI switched allegiences again when it was found that Linux
> was proving to be a better bet on these new boxes than the
> commercial MS product that had many many OEM addons required to
> make it go.
Actually, SGI has been quietly supporting Linux for some years now (as
have Sun). From what I can tell, SGI had been throwing more into it
(behind the scenes), and now, or course, they've gone public and are
throwing a *lot* more into Linux.
I've long held the view that the first Unix vendor to ditch their own
OS and adopt Linux would be the one with the greatest longevity. Well,
we've seen who jumped first, it will be interesting to see who lasts
longer.
Don't assume the idea of selling NT-based SGI boxes came from within
SGI...
> I believe they are reducing production of their R* series
> proecessors and even considering dropping IRIX. Dunno if this
> is FUD or not though.....
Not FUD. Why do you think they're throwing resources into Linux? Check
out oss.sgi.com and see all the work they're doing. It's pretty clear
these efforts are targeted at "big iron". Bye, bye, IRIX. Bye, bye,
MIPS (ia64 is their future).
Regards,
Richard....
Permanent: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Current: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text