"Simon Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> The other reason for going for a standard system in DSE schools is that the 
> DSE is expected to support it, if every installation in every school is different 
> then it is an impossible task. 

I've heard mention of this thing before; some bit of the dept of
education (is that DSE?) provides a "help desk" type service to
schools for their computer problems.  Is that how it works?

Do you know if there is such a thing in WA?

I ask because my auntie is a librarian at a school in remote WA
and has "drawn the short straw" and ended up with the job of
maintaining the library PCs.  They're all running some M$ thing
(NT i think she said but not sure) cos that's what the previous
person wanted - and the library software they use comes as an
M$ version.

The problem is the kids have access to these PCs as well, so
stablility is a major problem.  I suggested various "lockout"
type software as used in places like internet cafes, but the real
problem is that she knows next to nothing about PCs.  The usual
practise when a PC goes wrong is to pack it up and send it back
to Perth to be "fixed".  It sounds a complete disaster to me.

She asked my advice but as I know nothing about M$ stuff, I
couldn't offer much help except find the "lockout" programs
on the net and install them.

Dave.
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to