Jason Rennie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> The real decision comes down to this, the machine currently has a pile of
> apps compiled for an i686 processor (including the kernel), if i swap the
> processor on the machine, will the apps still run ? Will the kernel still
> boot ? I can recompile the kernel for i586 next time i do it, but will it
> be aproblem for the time being ?
it should work. My chick and I upgraded her PC on the weekend
from a Cyrix 166 to a P3-550 (ie. new MB, CPU, memory, video,
the lot, basically we just kept the monitor, floppy and cdrom
drives). Then I hooked up an old 500Mb disk we had lying about
that was once linux on the P166 and it booted straight off!!
I remembered the root passwd and logged in and played around,
didn't try Xwindows but everything else worked fine.
(I also did a test install of corel linux on her new 13Gb ultra-33
IDE disk to check it was ok, jeeze KDE, netscape, etc all fly
on a P3-550 with 128Mb RAM and matrox G200 video card!)
Dave.
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text