On Thu, 4 May 2000, Craig Warner wrote:

I now have the new installation boot disks and anaconda stuff migrated
into our Bleeding CDR's now.. otherwise, why not trying the errata
boot/update disks from redhat's site first, to see if you have the same
problem.

Anthony

> I have the same error signal 11 during installation of RH 6.2 but the
> CD-ROM is 32x and the CD is a recently pressed one.
> There is no problem loading other distributions.
> 
> regards
> 
> Craig Warner
> 
> 
> Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 09:06:22 +1000
> From: Adrian Chiang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [SLUG] Redhat 6.2 install experience (signal7 or 11 errors)
> 
> Hi Slug members,
> 
> a few weeks ago I posted a message saying I had trouble installing
> Redhat 6.2. 
> 
> Problem:
> I kept getting signal 7 and signal 11 during installation.
> I checked the help page on Redhat's FAQ and it suggested hardware
> problems
> like RAM.
> 
> Solution:
> It was nothing to do with the hardware (phew).
> I found the problem to the CD-R that was made. My Pentium75 with quad
> speed cd
> was having trouble reading this particular CD-R. So what I did was
> make a copy but burning it at 2x speed. 
> 
> And now the install works fine! 
> 
> (stating the obvious...) I noticed that if the Redhat Installer takes
> 
> a long time to come up, the cd drive is probably having trouble reading
> the CD. 
> (shouldn't take more then a minute from boot floppy disk...)
> 
> btw: the disk was purchased at a local linux merchant.
> 
> have fun!
> 
> Adrian.
> 
> 
> 
> - --
> Access1  http://www.access1.com.au 
>       
> Address
> MLC Centre, Level 46 
> 19-29 Martin Place,
> Sydney NSW 2000 
>  
> Phone  +61 2 9233 8883 
> Fax    +61 2 9233 8885
> 
> 
> Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 10:05:39 +1000
> From: Ken Yap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [SLUG] Redhat 6.2 install experience (signal7 or 11 errors)
> 
> 
> >Solution:
> >It was nothing to do with the hardware (phew).
> >I found the problem to the CD-R that was made. My Pentium75 with quad
> >speed cd
> >was having trouble reading this particular CD-R. So what I did was
> >make a copy but burning it at 2x speed. 
> >
> >And now the install works fine! 
> >
> >(stating the obvious...) I noticed that if the Redhat Installer takes
> 
> >a long time to come up, the cd drive is probably having trouble reading
> >the CD. 
> >(shouldn't take more then a minute from boot floppy disk...)
> >
> >btw: the disk was purchased at a local linux merchant.
> 
> Aging and older model CDROM drives, and yours is a 4x, have more trouble
> reading CD-Rs than pressed CDs. Apparently the signal strength is lower.
> It also depends a bit on the CD-R material, some dyes have better
> "contrast" than others.
> - --
> 
> 

---
Anthony Rumble
LinuxHelp http://www.LinuxHelp.com.au Phone: 0500 500 368
Direct 02-9712-1799 Mobile 0412-955-042  Fax 02-9712-3977

--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to