On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 01:26:34PM +1000, Doug Stalker wrote:
> I've got some kernal modules that were compiled for redhat 6.0, (kernel
> 2.2.5-15) that I would like to run under Mandrake 7.1 (Kernel
> 2.2.15-mdk4)
>From what little I know of mandrake and redhat, I think that
redhat is much more conservative when it comes to compilers
and compiler options.
Mandrake for instance may be using a later version egcs, redhat
maybe using gcc. I think mandrake compile the kernels for i686
and redhat i386, etc. (I'm mostly guessing here)
It wouldn't surprise me if there were problems inserting a module
in to a kernel that was compiled with a different compiler and
options.
I think you'll also have problems if the kernels smp and the module
isn't.
I'd first try recompiling the mandrake kernel with the same compiler
and options as redhat, and if that doesn't work, I'd try a redhat
kernel.
If all else fails you'll have to stick with 2.2.5, thats what can happen
with binary only modules, you can get trapped to a certain version of
kernel.
--
debian: Just two names joined together.
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text