>Oops, hate it when I hit `reply` and not `reply all`, in a damn rush...
>
>As below, it appears that this happens in both RH 6.1 and 6.2 and yet
>reversing the options tends to make it work.

Are you using lpr protocol on the JetDirect? As I recall some lpr
options are passed on to the remote printer and number of copies is
probably one. And a printer without local storage can do nothing about
this option. I think there are other spoolers like LPRng which will
handle these options locally. If nothing else, LPRng supports the
jetdirect protocol without any addons.