> This is based on the somewhat false assumption that all people are using
> their full bandwidth all of the time.  Given that the average ISP has at
> least 10 users per modem and at least 10 times the number of modems that
> their external bandwidth can handle I think 20 people sharing a cable
> segment (which can handle 33Mb) is a pretty fair amount.  If it got up to
> about 100 I'd start to get a little worried.

Not to rain on your parade or anthing, but for what it is worth, Optus has
exactly this sort of a problem at the moment, with too many of there users
trying to use all of the bandwidth at once and run it as fast as they can
24/7.

Cable is a rather different beast to a dial up modem, and the usage etc is
more open to abuse (as optus has discovered), so i think your comaprision
doesn't really work that well.

Jason

--
GnuPG Key 2450EEDC Jason Rennie<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Key fingerprint = 1A2B 5E34 B45A 2871 A488  99C7 7579 5FFC 2450 EEDC