On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 09:38:14AM +1000, Dennis M. Gray wrote:
> Sorry this message is a bit long but I need a clue. Thanks.
>
> Last night I reported that I am no longer able to start my display after a
> crash I suffered with VMWare. I have not had the time to research the
> problem thoroughly so hope I can get some pointers from here. Since my
> posting last night I have discovered the following message in my messages
> log:
>
> Aug 10 08:31:14 xxxxxxxx gdm[984]: gdm_server_usr1_handler: Could not open
> display :0

GDM is the Gnome Display Manager.

> If I shut down everything then run startx as root, I can bring up a display.
> I get an authentication error when I start from another user.

It sounds as if /tmp does not have the correct permissions (1777) drwxrwxrwt
as a lot of things break if they can't write there - amongst them X.

> I also see this message in the log:
>
> Aug  9 19:36:44 xxxxxxxx gdm[650]: gdm_auth_secure_display: Could not unlink
> /var/gdm/:0.xauth file: No such file or directory
>
> This message has appeared in the log many times before last nights problem.
> I checked for the file and it is there.

Hmm, perhaps the problem is permissions on /var

>I am not sure what the message
> means. I haven't looked yet for docs on gdm but have noticed there seems to
> be no man page installed on my system.

Before you investiagte why GDM is failing you will need to figure out
why X doesn't start as another user.

GDM simplys boots X and display a login screen so it will (should) work
once X does again.

Anand