chesty wrote:

> > If you do go ahead and download the .deb archive, you'll find yourself
> > needing to get more intimate with the package management system than you
> > might wish.
>
> dpkg -i package.deb

IFF you have already removed all conflicting pacakges, installed all
missing packages on which the new package depends and upgraded all
outdated packages on which the new package depends. (And of course,
repeat for transitive closure of the entire dependency tree.) This is
what I meant by "more intimate than you might wish".

apt-get will handle all of this for you, automatically.

- Raz