Yeah, I was hoping that evolution would bring out the best in email systems
around. POP3/IMAP etc only go so far and that's why I like the way exchange
works.

Someone can send an email and by the time the use releases the enter key to
send, the receiver receives it straight away. This is great as it creates
little traffic and quick response compared to POP3 every 10 minutes just to
see if you got any new mail and even then there may not be any.
I was monitoring the syslogs from another site on the net and boy did I make
a mistake. As the users first started getting on the new email system, the
first thing most of them did was change the check interval from 10-15 to 1
minute.
Multiply that by 40 or so people and watch you 64kb ISDN start to light up.

I killed that for a joke.

The other beauty about exchange is how all mail sits on the server and I can
login from anywhere and I mean anywhere and check my mail without POPing and
making copies etc.. It is live and that's it.. I can delete an email on my
laptop and that email on my desktop client will suddenly disappear. Keeping
everything in sync.
I can set up Offline folders and send emails, delete others, move things
around and when I syncronise at work the server adjusts to all the changes..

I really hope that Evolution does alot of these things coz' people like
myself will also liek to put linux my the laptop but have all the good
features too.

Sorry if I caused any flaming and the OT exchange business but just to let
you know what evolution is up against if they really really want to get it
right.

George.