On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Umar Goldeli wrote:

> In short, I would like to create a DTMF (IVR) menu system - I know vgetty
> has hooks for it - but I believe that there are other applications out
> there for Linux that make Life Easier(tm) ... for example, something
> called "Calltree" (which I would have loved to look at, but it seems that
> their homepage doesn't exist anymore *sigh*).
>
> Oh, and ideally this piece of software also records messages as well.

I have been thinking of a simular project, a Linux based answering
machine.

Here is what I was thinking of doing.

* VModem attached to phone line and Linux box

* Will answer phone after n rings

* Checks caller id of call, might not answer if its a certain number etc

* Custom welcome messages if it recognises the number. "Hi Jamie they
  aren't home but you can leave a message".

* Give an option of people to leave a message for. "Press 1 for Rod, 2 for
  Amanda or 3 if you are trying to sell something."

* For certain users email them the recorded message.

* Maybe have an LCD display interface for checking missed calls and for
  listening to messages.

The reasoning behind all this is the plain old answering machine just
don't cut it. I want to be able to choose who I want to let leave a
message. I also want to be able to get messages anywhere without having to
dial the machine up.

Rodos