>>You should see if your external cable modem nic
>>is configured to accept DHCP requests in the above eth0 file, apart from
>>that, I'm unsure.

>Yes, it is set, but I've still had no success with dhcpcd. Any other
>suggestions anyone? Apart from the NIC being configured and cable modem
>being physically connected to it, what else is there other than to issue
the
>command:

>>dhcpcd -h <hostname> interface <interface>

You may or may not be aware that Redhats Pump DHCP client does not work very
well with cable modems, here is an extract from Trinity OS - all copyrights
from the paste belong to David A. Ranch, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You have indicated your using dhcpdcd so I guess this doesnt pose as a
problem, although I suggest you goto his website and downloading his
excellent documentation on setting up firewalls, cable modems, security and
the like - it might give you a idea on where your going wrong.

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/

Cheers,
Stephen

====================

 # NOTE: Red Hat users of DHCP to get TCP/IP addresses (Cablemodems, DSL,
etc)
  #       will need to install and use a different DHCP client than the
stock
  #       client called "pump".  One recommended DHCP client is called
"dhcpcd"
  #       and can found in Appendix A.
  #
  #       The stock Red Hat DHCP client doesn't allow the ability to have
scripts
  #       run when DHCP gets a TCP/IP address.  Specifically, DHCP delves
out
  #       TCP/IP addresses to its clients for a limited amount of time; this
  #       called a "lease".  When a DHCP lease expires, the client will
query the
  #       DHCP server for a lease renewal.  Though the DHCP client will
usually
  #       get back its original TCP/IP address, this is NOT always
guaranteed.
  #       With this understood, if you receive a different TCP/IP address
than
  #       the IPCHAINS firewall was configured for, the firewall will block
ALL
  #       network access in and out of the Linux server because that was
what it
  #       was configured to do.