On  5 Sep, Michael Lake wrote:
>  Views and prints shitty. Next I need to extract text from
>  the PDF to get that info up onto a web site. No luck -
>  strings a PDF and you can't get the text. Its compressed.
>  Can't cut and paste from screen either.
>  I can't use the marvellous psutils to repaginate it, resize
>  it, turn it to ASCII etc.

I too have had as much pain from PDF files as successful experiences.
I dislike it a lot.

>  Why didn't Adobe just add gz compression, encryption and
>  string searching to the PS standard?

Because they saw the fact that HTML was eating into their business, and
because it didn't control layout precisely, gave them an opportunity to
try to turn the save file format of one of their products into a
standard format for document exchange.

Fortunately, they left it too late, and designed it too badly.

But back on the subject of StarOffice, here is some wise advice from a
friend:

> Luke,
>
> I do not believe it will be possible to shift to SO.  Indeed, the
> aim should be to increase choices rather than replacement.
>
> If a group of you want to use SO you should install SO and remove
> M$Office.  You will be the only ones affected.  If it works it
> will grow.
>
> Secondly, actively reduce the number of M$ licences required
> and get the savings added to your own budget.  If you do not
> do this no savings will be made.

I'm going to try to follow this advice, here at work.

luke