Dougie,
tail /var/log/messages
it may not be pppd that is dieing, but chap. or chat.
You may need a custom chat script.
What isp are you dialing?
have you tried just dialing them with at commands?
atdt93814000  (UDUS i think :/ )
then it should actaully handshake and give you a prompt to play with.
Your chat script needs to talk the same way as you would do it interactivly.

good luck,

Dave