> Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>
> Just to update folks, I got Multilink PPP running.  Contrary to what
> Jeff said, it was damn easy and works boodifully.

:P Me, say what? <mock horror> ;)

I was dissing the non-2.4 solutions - all the very un-Linuxy ways of doing
it in <= 2.2. One piece of software I tried required a patch to pppd, and
then seemed to kill it off after connecting. Search me.

> To get it to work I had to compile it in (listed experimental) to the
> kernel.  It's only in later 2.3 series kernels although there's a patch
> against 2.2.14.  I got it going on 2.4.0-test5.

That's the catch. The 2.2.14 patch was about as flakey as the other yukkies,
and it took me half a day to stop bothering with it - 2.4 worked straight
out of the box. Of course, I'm not in the habit of recommending 2.4 for
anything very important. 8)

When I first got it to work, I couldn't help thinking of the six office
lines, and all of the spare modems I could scrounge up. ;)

One of the best features is the relinking if a modem goes down - from
memory, I don't think NT ever did this. Not on the setup I was duped with.
Am I right, or just basking in thankful new-found ignorance of NT stuff?

- Jeff

(BTW - thanks for updating - it's always nice to know how problems are
eventually solved, especially with the answers!)

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ------------------------------- http://linux.conf.au/ --

        Ye shall be cursed to fall in love so easily, and yet be so
                     cold of heart as never to express it.