Hi all,

There's been a bit of discussion between the committee as to how we should
handle announcements on the Slug list, and the Announcements list. There are
two differing perspectives on what should happen, so I'll outline them here:

1) Slug is for discussion, Announce is for announcements

   If you want announcements of meetings, fests and other Linux-in-Sydney
   related stuff, you should subscribe to the announce list. If you want to
   discuss Linux-related issues, ask for help, offer advice, or have the
   occasional off-topic rant ;) join the SLUG discussion list. They're
   separate lists, for separate purposes.

2) Slug is high volume, Announce is low-volume

   If you can't handle the traffic on the main SLUG list, subscribe to
   announce to hear about all the meetings and goings-on without waiting for
   each day's SLUG list to download. If you can handle the traffic, enjoy
   yakking about Linuxy things, helping out, or would like to ask questions
   and watch everyone else's discoveries, join the main list. Announcements
   should also be posted to the SLUG list so you needn't subscribe to both.
   The lists serve different purposes, but their intent overlaps.

Even though I've sometimes been criticised for cross-posting (set up your
procmail dupes killer - I can even show you how!), I'm very much in support
of option 2. I don't think it serves our task well to require everyone on
both lists, and I wouldn't ever wish the main list bandwidth on an
unsuspecting newbie. :)

Please offer your thoughts on this. If you have any other ideas or queries,
don't hesitate to the committee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, or myself
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

- Jeff

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ------------------------------- http://linux.conf.au/ --

        Ye shall be cursed to fall in love so easily, and yet be so
                     cold of heart as never to express it.