Jeff Waugh wrote:

..snip...

> 1) Can Linux be used for video conferencing, does the software exist, and
> does it use the same protocol as the Windowsey ones?

You could have a look at the Open H323 stuff.
http://www.openh323.org

I suspect they are at the VOIP stage only.

My 2c says that unless these people are rich and this is going to bring
in big $$$, this is a piss-in-the-wind idea, meaning it aint going to
happen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he going to need 128Mb ISDN
for this to really work, i.e. videoconferencing.

I'd suggest looking at some internet telephone stuff - this seems to be
fairly common and will work on phone dial up. That has the voice taken
care of.

Then use a webcam and http server at either end. All they need to do is
trade IPs when they connect, then their browser can download a picture a
minute or something.

This is far more realistic for the common users.

   email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  www: http://www.woa.com.au
       or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   snail:  PO Box 1047, Campbelltown, NSW 2560.