> I've also gone into single user mode to fix problems (or make them worse
> :-) but I've never been into lvel 2 or 4.

Never?! Sheesh you don't know what your missing ;-) Levels 2 & 4
are where it's at man!.

Seriously, I put in a auto dial gateway for a friends little office
and as they only had one modem, I configured it to have a dial-in
window so that I could guareentee myself a time each day that I
could get in if they need things done. It just changes to run level
4 (via crontab) at a certain time which starts mgetty and stops
diald, and then it changes back to runlevel 3 a couple of hours
later killing mgetty and re-starting diald. Thus mgetty is only
running for a little while, which keeps the hacking risk down,
and I know for sure that the modem is free at that time cause
diald is stopped so it can't be locking the modem.

Works well.

Pete.