Thanks Pete,

Tried this and when I entered the mount command, it returned with "mount: the
kernel does not recognize /dev/fd0 as a block device (maybe 'insmod driver'?) "

Normally I would just nod and smile at responses like this, but in this case it
still doesn't get me anywhere ;)

Can someone explain what the message means (the response "this guy doesn't know
what he's doing" is valid) ?

thanks
Dave

=====

David,

> Due to FDC problems, my system no longer has a floppy drive, and I'm trying
> out VMware 2.0.2 (with Corel Linux) - the problem being I cannot install the
> vmware tools without a floppy drive (and the vmware website offers no further
> advice on this).

You don't need a floppy drive to install the tools. Once the Virtual
machine is
booted go to the Settings menu and select VMware tools install. This
fakes out
the /dev/fd0 device for the floppy to a built in driver that contains a
vfat
file system. You then just do

  # mount -f vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt

and you will find a tar ball of the tools in /mnt. Copy the tar ball to
somewhere
(/tmp). umount /mnt and then go back to the settings and re-set the
tools install.
Then just un-tar the file and follow the instructions.

HTH

Pete