I doubt it as fetchmail is running as root and can access all mail. I just
don't know exactly what it means by "waiting for listener to respond".

-----Original Message-----
From: Thom May [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 6:37 PM
To: George Vieira
Cc: Sydney Linux Users Group in Sydney (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [SLUG] fetchmail POP3 problem

Have to say, that sounds most like fetchmail is having trouble
connecting to the Mail Transport (exim, sendmail, whatever) on
the local machine to send the emails to the users. Can you check
if it's running?
-Thom
At some point around Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 04:37:32 +1000, George Vieira
said:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not sure what's causing the problem but this is what's happening:
>
> I used to run `fetchmal -q 300` with a .fetchmailrc containing all the
users
> and their required details. This worked fine and then one day stopped.
>
> If I use Outlook to fetch a POP3 directly from the POP3 server all is OK
but
> fetchmail can't retrieve anything on any account.
>
> Here is a verbose output and where it stops at:
>
> fetchmail: 5.5.3 querying pop3.server.com.au (protocol POP3) at Mon, 09
Oct
> 2000 15:35:09 +1100 (EST)
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK POP3 pop3.server.com.au v6.50 server ready
> fetchmail: POP3> USER georgev
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK User name accepted, password please
> fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK Mailbox open, 1 messages
> fetchmail: POP3> STAT
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 348
> fetchmail: POP3> LAST
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK 0
> 1 message for georgev at pop3.server.com.au (348 octets).
> fetchmail: POP3> LIST
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK Mailbox scan listing follows
> fetchmail: POP3< 1 348
> fetchmail: POP3< .
> fetchmail: POP3> TOP 1 99999999
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK Top of message follows
> reading message 1 of 1 (348 octets)
>
> and just hangs there forever....until suddenly...
>
> fetchmail: timeout after 300 seconds waiting for listener to respond.
> fetchmail: client/server synchronization error while fetching from
> pop3.server.com.au
> fetchmail: Query status=7 (ERROR)
>
> any ideas if this is the server or fetchmail? Server is RH5.2.
> Funny thing is that Outlook get mail fine..
>
> thanks,
> George Vieira
> Network Administrator
> http://www.citadelcomputer.com.au
> PGP Fingerprint :     43DC 92AC 1A82 27B2 E97B  52F1 B60F 301A 38A9 A10C
> PGP KeyID:            0x38A9A10C
>

> --

Thomas May
        Sys Admin, AMX Communications