On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 05:40:49PM +1100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Jeff Waugh generated:
> >Which should work, however, my procmaillog reports that whilst it tried to
> >start, it couldn't open the display. Gar! How does the procmail setup in
> >Debian and Red Hat differ for this to not work?
>
> Specifically, procmail has the suid bits set.  Even root isn't allowed
> to connect to an X server (at least, in the default Deb setup).  I'm
> guessing that maybe RedHats' procmail switched uid to the user the mail
> is addressed to, but Debians' doesn't.

Root or no, if you're now running X from xdm (as I am) then
there are security issues with cookies and so on that are
non-trivial to get around.  Well, I haven't figured out how to
other than:

rclock is your friend.

Sure, it has a kooky setup, and you need to hack the code to
stop it from putting the time into the X resource name (gack!),
but it has the singuar, huge bennefit of being an X application
that can run arbitrary other X applications as indicated by a
crontab-like control file.

Since procmail itself isn't running as the child of something
that _did_ connect properly to the local X server, its children
just might not be able to connect at all.

--
Andrew