At some point around Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 02:50:35 +1100, Jeff Waugh said:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] said something along the lines of:
>
> > i want to get rid of sendmail and put in an easier to configure
> > equivelant.
>

> Okay, that bit is easy - if you want to replace your MTA, try Exim or
> Postfix. They are much easier to configure than sendmail, and at least
> Postfix has a lot of good documentation to read.
www.exim.org has more documentation than you could shake a small
tree at :-)

> > i also want to transfer the current emails that are read through sendmail.
> >
> > so, can anyone suggest an easy to configure, secure, imap, email server
> > other than sendmail?
>

> Aha - now you're asking for something different. sendmail is called sendmail
> because it does just that - it sends mail, usually between Internet email
> hosts. It doesn't care how you collect or read that email, however.
>
> It sounds like you're after a different beast - an IMAP server. There are a
> few around - the University of Washington one, Courier, Cyrus, actually
> there's a whole lot!
The university of washington one is evil... I had a look at it
when trying to decide which server to use, and it was pretty obvious a
post grad had knocked it up in about half an hour, and no-one
had looked at it since... ;-)

> Have a look at: http://freshmeat.net/appindex/daemons/imap.html
>
> There's a list of about 13 there. Most include some form of sercure
> connection protocol, however you might find that your email clients don't
> support these. Bummer, huh?
>
> > i hope i'm making sense with this.
>

> Mostly! ;)
>
> I guess the question now (and one that I'm interested in) is... Which IMAP
> server is the best in which situations?
I "implemented", well "apt-get install cyrus-imapd "'d at my
last job, when it was decided that we didn't want to use Novel's
groupware a month after paying the *exorbitant* licensing fees,
and it worked out of the box first time. As far as I'm aware,
that box (exim/cyrus imap) has been running quite happily since
I left the company 9 months ago, which is lucky as no-one else
there has a clue! The novel box, which is still in use as a file
share, has an uptime of a week or so *at best*, and that's an
actuall Dell Server box, as opposed to a crappy old workstation
that got pressed into service ;-)

-Thom