Hi Sluggers,

I have gotten to the stage where I think the only way to fix this is to boot
ont he 6.2 CD and mount the drives manually (as I used the `linux dd`)
command to load the device driver and hopefully to mount the /dev/sda8 drive
and patch/modify what is needed.

I also noticed that IBM have a patch sh file for existing systems and all it
does is (this is what the script has):
Variables in script
        $i= the module version eg. 2.2.16-3 in this case
        $MKINITRD= changed to /mnt/root/sbin/mkinitrd as it is found there

SCRIPT info:

        cp /tmp/$i/ips.o /lib/modules/$i/scsi > /dev/null 2>&1
        LC_ALL=C $MKINITRD -f /boot/initrd-$i.img $i

Now, the thing is I always get "file or directory not found" running the
MKINITRD command.
I tried mounting the REAL root drive using

mount /dev/sda8 /mnt/root

and then modified the LC command to

        LC_ALL=C /mnt/root/sbin/mkinitrd -f /mnt/boot/initrd-2.2.16-3.img
2.2.16-3

but fails with this "file not found" crap. I have no idea if it's mkinitrd
reporting this or its the shell not finding it.. I can however ls -l  the
file to be 40KB or so..

Sorry if this is vague but I'm running out of time and typing a million
miles an hour..

I hate boot problems, never deal with kernel stuff much...

thanks,
George Vieira
Network Administrator
http://www.citadelcomputer.com.au
PGP Fingerprint :       43DC 92AC 1A82 27B2 E97B  52F1 B60F 301A 38A9 A10C
PGP KeyID:              0x38A9A10C