From: Gonzalo Servat [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 9:20 AM
To: SLUG Mailing List
Subject: [SLUG] Authentication Question

Hi Slugers.

I have a question regarding authentication with Samba and Radius.

I have a setup of 3 computers. One of the machines will be the main
firewall (which will also handle PPP dialin using a 8 port serial card),
the Second machine will be the main Password/File Server (using SAMBA)
and the third machine will be the main proxy/e-mail server. The firewall
machine will have an external IP address as well as internal and the
other 2 machines will only have internal IP's.

I was hoping I could get some suggestions as to how I can go about
sharing the passwd/shadow file across the network (in a secure way) so
that if the File Server has all the employee's added to it and so that
the e-mail server will be able to authenticate users from the main File
Server. Also the firewall will be taking care of the PPP dialin so this
machine will also have to authenticate users from the main File Server
machine.

How could I go about doing this? I thought maybe NIS will do the trick
but I have been told Samba and Radius don't support NIS. Another (rather
un-secure) way of doing it is to configure scp on the 2 client machines
(firewall and proxy/e-mail server) to download the passwd and shadow
files from the file server every few minutes but that's not secure and
surely there has got to be a better way of doing it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Gonzalo.
                       _