> Holroyd Engineering Services wrote:
>
> I found an article, Howto, about using a pc as an internet gateway for
> a home network (by Paul Ramsay). However the article assumes you have
> a cable link to the internet and unfortunately I have not got the
> luxury of having one. I have, however, like most people, an
> all-you-can-eat :), dialup account. My question is, how easy is it to
> reconfigure for dialup instead off cable?.

Here is the way I did it:

Start by getting the dialup working.  I just configured ppp0 and then
run ifup/ifdown ppp0 to control the connection. (You could use diald,
but I don't like automatic redial)

Use Ipchains to look after masqurading and firewalling.  This is very
easy to setup, and if you want I can send you the script I use to setup
the rules.  (Mandrake 7.1 comes with ipchains in /etc/rc.d/, but you
need to set the rules up if you want to actually use it)

> I ve got ppp configured and
> it can actually connect to my isp, but even on the linux box netscape
> could not browse the net.

You would need to sort out this problem first; if the gateway isn't
properly connected to the network then it's not much use as a gateway.

> Does anyone know of any howto or any other artcle that explain
> in basic terms exactly how to enable internet sharing using linux.

Good starting points are the IP-Masqurade HOWTO and the ipchains HOWTO

 - Doug