What flags are you passing cpio in SCO?  There is a -c flag that write
steh header in text instead of binary, and it says in the SCO cpio man
page that this is required for archives being moved between different
system types.

Also check the block size - if they are different between systems I'm
sure it would cause problems of some sort.

 - Doug