On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 01:36:33PM +1100, Rick Welykochy wrote:

> How does Apache allow ten web server on different IP's
> all to listen on port 80? Answer: you bind to specific
> IP addresses instead of 0.0.0.0
>
> Is there a similar mechanism for POP-3?

as penance, I trawled freshmeat.

The following POP servers support virtual hosting:

POPular
http://www.remote.org/jochen/mail/popular/
  -- a POP3 server designed for large systems, includes virtual
server support

Solid POP3
http://freshmeat.net/projects/solidpop3/homepage/
  -- claims virtual hosting support, actual site was down when I
checked

Teapop
http://www.toontown.org/teapop/
  -- supports virtual domains with multiple IPs, and optional
authentication via SQL and htpasswd etc.

VMailMgr
http://www.vmailmgr.org/
  -- "A password checking interface between qmail-popup and
qmail-pop3d which replaces the usual checkpassword, as well as an
authentication module for Courier IMAP"

vpopmail
http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail/
  -- another qmail add-on

the following do name based virtual hosting, but not multiple IPs:

Virtual eMail (patch for gnu-pop3d)
http://www.reedmedia.net/projects/virtualmail/

vmail-sql
http://www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/vmail-sql/