I'm having trouble with running an FTP server on Debian (Potato,
stable).  I started by running apt-get install ftpd, which seemed to
work fine.

I try to ftp there from an external system, and get

D:\windows\Desktop>ftp 203.X.X.X
Connected to 203.X.X.X
Connection closed by remote host.

So I ran apt-get install wu-ftpd, and still have the same problem.
After ssh'ing to the system I can connect via ftp to either 127.0.0.1 or
the IP address on ppp0.  I've restarted inetd; it didn't make any
difference.

The system has ipchains, but currently input is set to ACCEPT and so is
output.  Forward is set to MASQ.  (I'll be setting up a dedicated
gateway in a few days, and I'll do proper firewalling then)

What could be stopping the ftp from working?  Is there an allowed hosts
file that needs editing?  I know you can disallow users, but this is
happening before the user login prompt.

 - Doug