I have a sparcclassic here running rh 6.2 quite well
for a machine made in 1992 (486 era) it runs like a beast

it even does opengl well (considering the 8 year old factor)
and unlike on my amd, i can resize the opengl window with not
change in performance =)

has a sound card with a driver but alas as far as i can tell
it doesnt support pcm or sound over 8hz

redhat isnt making sparc dists anymore i dont think.
debian will continue to no doubt. i dont know what other dists do.

you can run solaris (no suprise there), linux (www.ultralinux.org/com
is the sparc port site), netbsd and openbsd.

In theory anything should compile and run, i have X gnome etc.
on my little box. Xmms runs but as i said, no sound.

thats me, im looking for sun bits (esp. a new sound card)

Dean

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi
> i have just recieved an offer of possibly getting a whole bunch of sun
> stuff.
>
> I heve been using a pc since when ever and have had no experience what so
> ever with sun. All i saw was big bords that dont look like they go
> together like a pc ;-)
>
> anyway.. where can i find out what i need, about how good is it ie what
> will be roughly the same speed a a pII or 586??
>
> the other thing is what runs on it as i am also interested in trying other
> varents of *nix to get feel for diffrent systems.
>
> thanks alot
>
> alex
>
> --

BONG: http://www.bong.com.au
EMAIL...
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ: 16867613