\begin{Robert Martinovic}
> I'm not game to try this, as the file seems pretty cryptic to me.
>
> I have tried this:
> incursion:/home/rob# dpkg -r --force-confold mysql-server
> dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--remove):
>  Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
>  reinstall it before attempting a removal.
>  mysql-server
>
> This is starting to get desparate. I cannot update any of my software, because apt
>doesn't get past mysql.

bah! its only mysql. rip its throat out - it'll die fairly quickly
after that:

 printf "1a\nexit 0\n.\nwq\n" | \
    ed /var/lib/dpkg/info/mysql-server.prerm
 dpkg --purge mysql-server

otherwise, you could do it the "huh?" way:

 dpkg --purge --force-reinstreq mysql-server

if the mysql-server package has been updated to fix this bug,
installing the new package should work, since it would try the prerm
from the new package. since its a segfault in one of the mysql tools,
that probably wouldn't help tho..

nothing must stand in the way of an apt-get update!

--
 - Gus