Mileage will vary according to what the users are downloading. If it is
dynamic content then this won't cache (news sites often have a no cache
setting). We have about 100 terminals running through Squid and get about
30% of our hits and 20-25% of the bytes. There is also the question of how
large a cache have you got and how much RAM available to Squid? We are
a school site and a lot of the data that goes through Squid is dynamic in
nature and a lot of webmail!

HTH

> What sort of cache hit rate should I expect with squid? At the moment
> (with approx. 50 users) I'm getting less than 10%. Should it be more than
> this? If so, how can I tweak the settings to get a better performance.
>
> I do notice that on some web pages I have viewed recently it is getting
> them from the main site rather than using the local cache (even only a few
> minutes later)
>

> --

Simon Bryan                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Information Technology Manager [EMAIL PROTECTED]
OLMC Parramatta