> For Tel$stra you must set up your NIC for DHCP which then it gets an IP and
> then you run the Tel$stra profile program which enables your connection (
> which i assume rp-PPoE does).

I have set it up, i was one of telstras first linux uisers with ADSL.

> I think the first step is to get the DHCP working. I tried setting the IP
> address of the linux box to what the I was on the Windows box and then
> connect the linux directly to the adsl modem, tried the adsl-start and it
> just won't work..

It DOES NOT use DHCP!

Run adsl-setup, follow the prompts, make sure the intercface the network
card is on is up, without an ip address and then run adsl-start.

Try running it in debug mode (you have read the docs haven't you) and see
what output you get.

Jason