Greetings sluggers

Any squid boffins out there? I am trying to solve two problems with squid:

1) I want to use squid against a parent cache also running squid.

I tried:

cache_peer proxy.parentcache.co.za parent 3128 3130 no-digest

I also tried:

cache_peer proxy.parentcache.co.za parent 3128 7 no-digest

To avoid doing ICMP queries.

Both give me something along the lines of:

ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://freshmeat.net/

The following error was encountered:

     Connection Failed

The system returned:

    (110) Connection timed out

The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

Your cache administrator is root.

Generated Tue, 07 Nov 2000 08:41:43 GMT by cnclnx.wcape.gov.za
(Squid/2.3.STABLE4)

Does something need to be done on the parent to enable my cache to cascade
through it? I have normal user access to the cache. Basically what I am
trying to do is share one internet point on our lan with some caching etc. At
the moment I am using the wwwoffle proxy to do the job which works very
nicely, but now my boss wants to keep track of who is visiting which sites so
I want to use squid's accounting features. I would prefer not having to ask
the parent cache admins to adjust their squid config as I work in a _very_
bearocratic environment and that would involve filling out tons of crappy
motivations and request forms!!

2) Otherwise is it possible to get squid to pipe it's requests to wwwoffle
running on port 8080?

Thanks,

Tim

tim @ linuxuser.co.za

--
"The picture's pretty bleak, gentlemen...  The world's climates are changing,
the mammals are taking over, and we all have a brain about the size of a