Hi,

I'm going to be changing Linux distros and thus, obviously,
reinstalling most software.  Fortunately, I had placed my /home
directory on its own partition, so I don't have to worry about my
personal files being touched.  Unfortunately, I wasn't so smart as to
put /usr/local on its own partition and now I want to save the stuff I
have there before reinstalling.  I'm fairly sure I understand the
process, but I'm just wondering if there's an easier way.  I was
planning to:

1. Make a new partition on the HD using previously un-partitioned sectors.
2. Build a filesystem on the new partition
3. Mount the new partition (maybe /mnt/temp)
4. Copy the data from /usr/local to /mnt/temp
5. Run md5sum on original data in /usr/local; compare with 'md5sum -c <file>'
   to new data on /mnt/temp ***
6. Unmount the old partition from /usr/local
7. Unmount the new partition from /mnt/temp
8. Update /etc/fstab to tell it about new partition for /usr/local
9. Re-mount the new partition over the old mount point
10.Ready to do re-installation

This seems pretty straightforward, but I'm wondering if there's any
way to accomplish this without explicitly copying the files (though I
can't see how).

Thanks so much for any advice and responses.  I'd appreciate getting
cc'd on them.

Take care,

Daniel

*** Side question on md5sum: my understanding of ext2fs is that when
copying or moving files within a partition, the files are not actually
moved or copied, only the inode table is updated (and thus no md5sum
is necessary as there is no risk of incorrect I/O related to move);
however, when moving between partitions, the files actually have to be
copied or moved, and thus an md5sum check would be prudent.  Is this
correct thinking, please?  Thanks so much.

---
Daniel A. Freedman
Department of Physics
Cornell University