\begin{Dean Hamstead}
> ALSA was spawned from drivers written for a card
> (name eludes me) to exploit its potential more fully.

the authors are all from the gravis ultrasound project

since the GUS (you see, i just had to get one) was one
of the first cards to have wavetable stuff, etc. the
OSS interface (simple audio streams) just wasn't good enough.

alsa is sort of a more general rewrite. comes with a libalsa, so
user programs are easier to write.

> ALSA isnt a kernel patch.

kernel modules

> If the ALSA team hasnt sent a patch then i dont
> see it going in.

i heard rumours the sound was going to be overhauled in 2.5

there was talk of either using alsa or doing a new one from scratch.
i'm thinking they go with alsa.

--
 - Gus