I got the same problem trying to get my AWE 64 (ISA) working with Debian
Woody.

What I've found:

as alsaconf starts up it flashes an error about a missing module - I
think this is the auto-detect modules.  If I give teh setting manually I
get the same error as listed below, except maestro.o is replaced with
sb.o.  (I guess this means alsaconf called modprobe sb?)

I used apt-get install sndconfig, and ran that - it detetcted the card
perfectly but failed to load the module for the card.

Manually running 'insmod sb' results in a huge list of unresolved
symbols.

Is there some secret trick to getting sound working with Debian?  Is
there an ISA PNP app I need to install?

Apart from this sounds problem I'm really enjoying Debian.

 - Doug