On 29 Nov, enterfornone scribbled:
->  On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 08:43:35PM +1100, David wrote:
->  >
->  > Personally I believe that Linux has to be a LOT more user friendly before
->  > desktop apps are going to be a serious issue.
->  >
->  > I am a lot more savvy than the average user, and I find myself constantly
->  > struggling with configs and installs.
->
->  Never having used mac I can't really compare, but installing a basic
->  desktop distro is simple.  There is a lot about Linux that is beyond
->  the average user, but if you can install and configure Windows I can't see
->  how you would have trouble installing Linux to the point where you can
->  type letters and surf the web etc.
->
->  What exactly do you find difficult (desktop wise?).

installing software on linux is a pain - compared to windows. - you
have to find the right file - read a readme - figure out how to
decompress/run/do somethngt with that file - get a Cd of 3rd party
software (linux has distros - but they will never answer everything -
in the end 3rd party is going to be the "big thing" and it's important
it gets worked out) and you actually have to go to a lot of effort to
read the readme - set things up (quake3 is an example) - installign
drivers is a real pain. under windows installing 4rd party software is
just a matter of sticking the CD in - same with drivers. windows takes
it from there - pops up the autorun thing -where you get a nice big
"install me" button or "uninstall" etc. - its just so much less pain
and wokr than linux. linxu means u have to be nigh a guru to get 3rd
party drivers working - getting nvidia's 3d to work is an example -
everyone at work seems to keep coming to me to "fix" their machines by
setting this up because i'm one of the few guys around who knwos how to
make it work - and this is in engineering at VA... just think of the
poor average joe schmo user... and this is just where the examples
start... :)

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]