Peter wrote:

> Where are you actually connecting ? Here is a connect string that works
> for me.
>
> $dbh =
> DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:$mp3db:$host",$usr,$pswd,{PrintError=>1});
>         croak "can't connect to MySQL server ($SQLSERVER)" if !defined($dbh);

Thanks but I plead total perl ignorance.
As far as I can tell this doesn't run by itself.
What do I do with it?

Where do the $mp3db, $host, #usr, $pswd  get defined?
What is $mp3db? Is this your database?

I will try looking for perl stuff at freshmeat and search.cpan.org (if
they are both working).

Sigh, this is another case of O'Reilly books being only for those who
already know what they are doing. I spoke to Tim O'Reilly about this
about seven years ago, over the Awk book, but it seems he hasn't taken
it on board.

   email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  www: http://www.woa.com.au