I'm having trouble getting slave nameservers to transfer correctly.

/var/log/messages (slave DNS host) says:

Dec 13 18:53:42 fast named[21052]: rcvd NOTIFY(duelplay.com.au, IN, SOA)
from [203.23.36.1].1034
Dec 13 18:53:42 fast named-xfer[21179]: can't make tmpfile
(named.duelplay.Lm0CQb): Permission denied

The master server behaves properly, serial numbers are correct. Both boxes
are standard RH6 setups. The slave server is working, but I can't get it
to update when I restart the master. The master host's log does not
indicate any problem.

The master DNS runs as root, but on the slave host, named runs as uid
<named> and all files are owned by <named>. I don't know why they are
different, and I don't remember ever doing anything to make them
different. What should they be?

TIA, David