Hi,
Here is the situation.
I currently use a WinNT server as a gateway on my home network, running
Wingate software. I want to replace that with a Linux server.
I have RH7.0 and SuSe7.0 available.
I do not have large HDD available (between 500Mb and 1Gb).
I have setup SuSe7.0 on a 500MB HDD and have setup RH and Mandrake in the past.
I do not need a GUI as this machine should run headless and transparently
to everyone else.
I will not run a proxy server - at least not with a large cache of any kind.
I am connecting to the Sydney branch of Optusnet (am an old Microplex customer)
The setup did not find or recognise the modem attached (Maestro Companion)
- also have a Spirit Ranger 56 Internal modem available.

Question: remembering I am pretty much a dunce at this.
Once I have the server up and running (am going to try RH on a slightly
larger HDD, or should I stick to SuSe), how do I get it to recognise the
modem and how do I setup the routing? I need filenames that I have to edit
and possible suggestions as to what should go in them.

Haven't had much luck looking for FAQ's etc as I don't know what I am
looking for, can someone point me in the right direction please.

Cheers and Happy New Year
Simon Bryan