----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 12:59 AM
Subject: [SLUG] mp3 pitch/speed

> Hey all,
>
> I am interested to hear your thoughts on an observation I'd made today -
I've
> been brewing up a whole bunch of mp3s using various rippers and encoders:
> cdparanoia, cdda2wav, dagrab & bladeenc, lame.. mostly with the grip
frontend
> (WAY happy with that one - check it out!)
>
> What I've noticed is that all my mp3s have a very slightly lower pitch
than
> CD audio - probably about 2/5 of a semitone or so - I don't know if it's
> slower though. Call me weird, but I'd really like to correct this if I
can -
> any ideas?

Have you listened to the intermediate .wav file?

I strongly recommend you do so first - you might even find its just a
weirdness in your soundcard preventing it from playing back the file at its
*true* samplerate, and instead causing it to play it back at one very close
to correct.

Alternatively, you could be imaginging it. 2/5ths of a semitone is a small
deviation - one which I'm beginning to believe most people can't hear [as a
musician of 8 years, with a really sharp sense of pitch, its *bloody* hard
to know what the average person can and can't pick up].

I personally have not heard actualy pitch differences in music converted to
MP3 - just audio-distortion from bad encoders or low bitrates.

--
| Crossfire      | This message was brought to you |