----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Croft" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Ken Yap" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Sydney Linux Users Group" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2001 10:39 PM
Subject: Re: [SLUG] The origins of vmlinuz and mgetty

> I'm glad I asked the question.
>
> Are there any books or docs on the boot process? As well as i386 I use a
> mklinux computer; vmlinuz seems to be on the host system as well as
> on the linux partition; the boot process seems to metamorphose as it
> proceeds. I stand back in awe-ful admiration and wish I knew what was
> going on.  Yes, yes, I can google, but a little direction might help.

You're actually always booting the kernel on the MacOS partition when using
MkLinux or Linux/m68k on mac.

the MkLinux bootloader and Penguin Bootloader (the m68k bootloader) can only
read kernels from MacOS visible disks.  They are very similar to loadlin on
ix86.

--
| Crossfire      | This message was brought to you |