Or if you have strange ports on your own machine then try telneting to
them also and see what they give you.

I believe the Ramen worm does things with inetd.conf, but I don't think it
does what is being described.  I agree, I think the box has been
compromised.

Have you monitored the traffic it might be sending out using tcpdump?

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates <http://lannetlinux.com>